Oprah: If I'm supposed to run for president, God has to tell me

© Provided by The Hill Oprah Winfrey said she's had billionaires offer to fund her presidential campaign if she runs for the White House, but said she's waiting for a sign from God.

"I went into prayer," she said of calls for her to run for president.

"'God, if you think I'm supposed to run, you gotta tell me, and it has to be so clear that not even I can miss it.' And I haven't gotten that yet," Winfrey told People Magazine in an interview published Wednesday.

Winfrey emerged as a possible 2020 presidential candidate after she delivered an emotional speech at the Golden Globes earlier this year, speaking out against sexual harassment.
Winfrey told People that after the speech, she had wealthy individuals offer to fund or run her campaign.

"That many people saying something made me think, 'Am I at least supposed to look at the question?'" Winfrey said.

She has previously denied that she is considering a bid, saying it isn't in her character, while those close to her have encouraged her to enter the race.

President Trump took aim at Winfrey on Twitter earlier this month, calling her "very insecure" and saying that he hopes "Oprah runs so she can be exposed and defeated just like all of the others!"

Comments