Baba Ijebu, at 80: I began my business with no capital - Sir Kesington Adebutu

Sir Kesington Adebukunola Adebutu, a.k.a “Baba Ijebu” is a foremost billionaire pools and lotto magnate. He is also a philanthropist of note. In this interview with some journalists on his life at 80, he speaks about his childhood, business, reason for his philanthropic gestures, his legacy and other sundry issues. Saturday Tribune brings the excerpts:


Sir, what is the significance of your 80th birthday to you?
The birthday is so significant to me because the bible says the days of our years are three score years and ten, that even is by reason of strength, four score years which is eighty years. So for me to have graciously clocked eighty years on the surface of the earth, especially in Nigeria, when life expectancy is put at between forty and forty-five, I cannot but thank God Almighty for His grace, because I know for sure that, it is the grace of God that has kept me alive till today to reach this milestone age in good and robust health. So the birthday is significant to me because God has been so faithful to me.

You are a renowned philanthropist, what actually motivated you into the act of philanthropy?
What motivated me into the act of philanthropy is that, I observed that a lot of people in the country work harder than I do but they do not get much reward and blessing as I get or I am getting. I then think this is an uncommon grace of God. So, I felt like appreciating God Almighty for His blessing over my flourishing business and life generally. Therefore, I decided to give back to the society, especially the underprivileged. I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that God single-handedly chose me out of many Nigerians for blessing so that I can be a blessing to others. With this conviction and belief uppermost in my heart, I chose to go into philanthropic acts freely, to help the cause of humanity and better my society.

Can you tell us more about your foundation, KAAF?
KAAF means Kesington Adebukunola Adebutu Foundation. The foundation was established ten years ago, precisely in October 2005, during my 70th birthday anniversary. The main objective of the foundation, as I said early on, is to show appreciation to God by giving back to the people. Through KAAF, we are trying to give part of what God has blessed us with to the underprivileged and the society generally. And through the help of God, the foundation, in the last ten years, has done quite a number of things to help the cause of humanity. The foundation has a vocational centre in Surulere, Lagos. The centre is part of our efforts to alleviate poverty and empower youths through acquisition of vocational and entrepreneurial skills for self development and job creation. The centre is meant for learning carpentry, masonry and tiling, plumbing, electrical work, etc. The foundation also has a maternity and laboratory at the University of Lagos, Akoka. There is another vocational centre at Tai Solarin University, Ogun State. We have done quite a lot of things with the foundation. The list is enormous, I cannot remember all.

At 80 sir, any regrets in life?
I will say I have no regrets of any kind at 80 because I have learnt right from my childhood to accept whatever comes my way or whatever situation I find myself in a good faith. Also, as a Christian, I strongly believe the biblical injunction that says “in everything we should give thanks to God”. So in everything, I give thanks to God Almighty. So, I have no regrets at all in life.

You are a foremost lotto businessman in the country, what motivated you into this business?
For your information, if you look at the history of my life, you will realise that my main business has ever been gaming. I started with pools promotion in 1963, but before I entered the business then, it was dominated by the Lebanese who believed the business was their exclusive right and that no Nigerian could venture into the business and succeed. By this disposition of the Lebanese in the pools business in the country then, I felt challenged and so I decided to venture into the business and resolved to make a headway in it. So, I started with Face to Face Million Dollar Pools and with it, I really gave the expatriate a thorough competition. Today, to the glory of God, the business has grown in leaps and bounds. On lotto business, for your information, lotto business originated from Ghana and up till now, so many lotto companies in Nigeria still rely on Ghana game. We, however, at Premier Lotto, have our own game. We do not rely on Ghana game. We are independent. And to God be the glory, we have been able to record an appreciable level of success in the business.

So what is the difference between pool and lotto?
They are two different types of game. Pools is based on the game of football and the results will be 1-2-x. 1 means home win, 2 means away win and x means a draw. But lotto is quite different. You have two ways of playing the lotto, either by the ball or electronically.

How has it been managing a multi-million naira company in an unfriendly economy like that of Nigeria?
Well, many businesses have quite a number of challenges. But I thank God that since I have invited my children to work with me; because my children are not working for me but working with me, I have been able to manage the business so successfully, despite the unfriendly business environment in the country.

How was growing up like?
I completed my primary education in 1942 and had my secondary education between 1951 and 1955. Thereafter, I started life. I worked briefly in Classic Chemical Limited, a pharmaceutical company that was producing Andrew’s Liver Salt, Cafenol and so on. I rose from the position of salesman to sales manager and in 1963 I left the company to start my own small business. Having no capital, I looked for a business that required little or no capital and what came to my mind was to be a pools agent, because to be a pools agent, what you just needed was to get a table and your pen. So you can see it is not capital intensive. I did that briefly and within a short time with my intimate friend, the late Chief Solomon Adebayo Ayoku, we dominated Africa. We then diversified to other areas like agriculture, manufacturing, estate management, the lotto, entertainment and so on.

How would you describe the personality of the late Chief Ayoku and how would you describe your relationship with him?
The late Chief Solomon Adebayo Ayoku was my bosom friend. He was a fine gentleman. He was a loyal and trusted friend. I do not think I will meet a man as good as him again. He was good, honest and forthright and I had excellent and memorable relationship with him.

How did you come about the name “Baba Ijebu”
The name is not my making. It is not the name given to me by my father. It is a nickname from the public and our satisfied customers and of course I am from the Ijebu province, maybe that explains it better.

What is your business philosophy?
Some people say punctuality is the soul of business. Yes, but to some extent. In my own, I will say honesty is the soul of business. Once, you are honest in what you are doing, you will definitely succeed in it because people will have confidence and trust in you. That is my business philosophy.

At 80 Sir, it is surprising that you still look agile and active, what is the secret behind this?
Well, I will say it is the Grace of God. Again I do everything in moderation. I don’t engage in excesses and I take my time in whatever I do.

How would you describe your fulfillment in life?
Honesty, if I am to access my level of satisfaction in life, I will conveniently score myself excellent. The reason being that, I have remained on the ladder of success since 1956, about 59 years ago. Looking back, it is not by my power or any level of hardwork  but by the grace of Almighty God.

What else do you want from God?
Good health, peace of mind and long life. I am 80 years now and I tell you, I want long life in good and robust health.

We learnt, you were born a Muslim, how did you become a Christian?
Yes, I was born a Muslim. However, in those days, those of us who attended missionary schools had a taste of Christianity in our schools. We were baptized and this now led to our conversion somehow to Christianity. So I got converted through the missionary school I attended. And since then, I have remained a Christian. I am not just an ordinary Christian but a devout one. Infact, I am the Baba Ijo of Methodist Church, Iperu and I also have the privilege of being awarded the highest title in Methodist Church Nigeria, which is the title of a knight. I am a knight of John Wesley 

What legacy do you want to be remembered for?
I want to be remembered for good name because good name is better than riches.

What is your advice to the up-and-coming youth who see you as a role model?
The younger ones should learn how to crawl before walking. It is a pity that, nowadays, the younger ones are always in haste and this cannot help them. I was not born with silver spoon. I worked very hard to get to where I am today. I have seen both the good and bad sides of life. So the youth should be patient in their quest and ambition to become great. They should realise that, slow and steady win the race. Above all, they should fear God and worship Him in awesome fear.

Comments