Hamilton 'as strong as ever'

© Provided by BSkyB Getty

Lewis Hamilton claims his Monaco GP triumph proves he is still at his very best and hopes to build upon the momentum in Canada.

The world champion cut team-mate Nico Rosberg's lead in the standings to 24 points after securing his first win of the season, taking advantage of Daniel Ricciardo's slow pitstop in the wet-dry Monte Carlo race.

After a disappointing start to the campaign, Hamilton says he is now as strong as ever heading into this weekend's Canadian GP in Montreal, the scene of his first ever F1 victory in 2007.

"I still can't quite believe I've got my 44th Formula 1 win," he said. "It's taken so much hard work from so many people throughout my career to reach this point - way too many to name - and it's a very special landmark for me and my family.

"I have to say how grateful I am to my mechanics for sticking at it and sticking with me after what's not been an easy start this year. It felt great to be back on the top step after a tough run and hopefully it was a big confidence boost for them too, because they've been doing a great job all season.

"I've proven that I'm just as strong as I've ever been and I will be for the rest of the year, so I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

"Montreal has always been a good track for me, so hopefully I'm able to shine like I did the first time I went there in that great city atmosphere."

Mercedes may be on top in both the Drivers' and Constructors' championship but Toto Wolff is increasingly wary of Red Bull's threat following their impressive re-emergence in 2016.

Comments